Hello Malvern News Subscribers,
This Newsletter is brought to you by the Malvern Board of Directors. Thank you for subscribing and please inform your Malvern neighbors of this news service.
In addition to this Newsletter, the Board maintains the Malvern Web Site where you can find reports of meetings, the latest "Malvern Communicator," policies, forms, and a wealth of other information about our community. And, please, come to the monthly Board meetings to learn more about the latest of what's going on!
|Next Monthly Board Meeting|
|Date:||Thursday, September 11, 2014|
|Agenda:|| View/Print Agenda|
President's Bulletin Board:
|This past month has been quiet. Summer is winding down and families are getting ready for school. I hope everyone remembers to drive safely as kids will be out mornings and afternoons now!|
|The Board is working on the 2015 budget. Ed will present it at the October meeting so please plan to be there. We are proposing a small dues increase and we will discuss the reasons for this at the meeting.|
|The Pool will be closing soon so get in your last swims! |
|The brush pile will hopefully be gone before the Picnic this month and we will no longer pile it up to burn. We will be using the chipper from Firewise from now on. |
|The "sign thieves" will be going to court on Nov 21. If anyone is interested in attending I have to appear as a witness but I'm hoping not to actually have to say anything! Times are 10:00 and 11:00 AM at the Madison General District Court building. They are facing criminal charges. |
School's Back - here are some tips to follow when behind the wheel:
- Respect the big yellow bus. Imagine being in a large car with 40 noisy 6th-graders. Could be pretty stressful. Do your part and make the bus drivers' lives easier. Yield when they are attempting to merge, and maintain a significant distance behind them, as they often make unexpected stops. Make sure children know to walk in front of - never in back of - buses.
- Don't allow children to fight or climb around in your car (they should be buckled in their seats at all times). One accidental bump or too much noise can easily distract you from concentrating on driving safely.
- Cell phones can also take your focus away from the task at hand: arriving safely at your destination.
- Avoid driving when you're tired. Be aware that some medications can cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous.
- Always use caution when changing lanes. Cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
- Take extra precautions while driving during deer season.
The current draft of the proposed 2015 budget is posted HERE. It is still under review by the Board members. The current draft shows an increase in annual dues of $25 meaning annual dues would be increased from $525 to $550. Remember that it is the Board who presents a budget to the membership and the membership (you) that approves the budget.
Click here to find the latest minutes from the monthly Board meetings.
For everyone planning on building or adding to a home or adding an outbuilding: be sure to read the requirements for plans, drawings, building permits, and especially the costs for any endeavors requiring heavy trucks on Malvern roads. This is much easier taken care of when starting a project then when having to play catch up.
Anyone with questions can direct them to the Malvern board or directly to me at 703-217-9031 or email at email@example.com.
|Roads Committee Meeting|
|Date:||Wednesday, September 10, 2014 |
|Time:||7:00 pm |
|Agenda:||Discussion of future road work in relation to the reserve study|
|4th Annual Malvern Picnic|
|Date:||Sunday, September 14, 2014|
|Rain Date:||Sunday, September 21, 2014|
|More Info:|| Click for Flyer|
|Malvern Events Planning Meeting|
|Date:||Sunday, September 21, 2014 |
|Time:||2:00 pm |
Madison County History Bits:
(Source: Madison County Historical Society newsletter, May 2003)
- In 1926, there were two professional baseball players in the major leagues from Madison County. That year, Dinwiddie Tucker was sold to the Washington Senators and Carl Yowell played with the Cleveland Indians.
- In 1975, Joe Jenkins played on the University of Virginia football team. He was known as "Joe the Toe" -- the name was coined during his seasons as a kicker with the Madison High School team. He tried out with the Baltimore Colts, but was not picked up.
- In 1980, VDOT installed the first traffic control device in the County -- a flashing light at Routes 29 and 634.
Do You Know - Where to find the "About Us" page?
The idea for a single About Us page grew from the completion of the Photo Gallery pages. That is, a single page with a short description and a picture of each of the Amenities. A single page to summarize all the Malvern features that make it attractive to current members and perhaps to real estate agents and potential buyers.
And, as always, if you have questions please attend one of the monthly Board meetings (date above) or contact a Board Member.
Malvern News Publication Schedule:
The Newsletter will be sent monthly, usually the first Thursday, and Ad-Hoc when needed. Committee Chairs must submit their input at least two days in advance.
If you have any questions about this Newsletter or any of the Community activities please visit our Contacts Page.