Draft March 9, 2023, Board Meeting
Please Click Here
to open the full text of the Draft minutes for the March 9, 2023, Board of Director's Meeting.
Below you will find some of the highlights from the meeting and any special notes that might be of interest.
Minutes of most Board and Membership meetings can be found on Malvern's website.
Board Meeting Decisions & Actions
- The minutes of the February 9, 2023, Board meeting were approved unanimously.
- Construction applications for Lots 225 and 122 for accessory buildings were approved.
- An election for four seats on the Board of Directors will be held at the April 29th Annual Membership Meeting.
- The pool is being renovated. See "Pool" discussion below.
⛵ Meeting Highlights 🌻
- Lake: The lake level is normal and the spillway is working normally.
- Board Election: Election of four (4) seats on the Malvern Board will be held at the April 29th Annual Membership Meeting. Any member, in good standing, interested in serving on the Board is encouraged to submit a short bio to introduce themselves and describe their qualifications and experience. Email the bio to:
Bios received by April 1st will be included in the Spring Communicator mailed to all members.
🏖️ Pool Renovation 🏖️
An inspection of the pool in February found the water level 2 feet low, similar to the leak in 2021. The cost to repair the leak would be on the order of $8,000, but there is $75,000 set aside in the Reserve Fund to renovate the pool in 2024.
Rather than fix the leak, the Board sought bids from local contractors to renovate the pool now. Cornerstone Foundations Construction of Culpeper committed to completing the work by Memorial Day Weekend and submitted a very low bid of $75,690. (Other estimates were around $140,000.) The Board voted to contract with Cornerstone to:
- replaster the pool;
- install two drains in the deep end;
- replace the tile and coping; and
- replace the concrete decking around the pool.
The fence around the pool and the upper deck also need to be replaced. The Board sought bids from local contractors and awarded a contract to Quality Built Fence of Madison. They will replace the fencing and the two gates at a cost of $9,312.
These improvements should be completed by the end of April so the pool may be opened for the season Memorial Day Weekend. Remember to pick up your pool key at the April 29th Annual Membership Meeting. Keys are still $20.
📋 Notes of Interest 📋
Just some local news that you might find useful:
- Free Brush Month: Madison County Transfer Station's Free Brush Months are March & October. For Madison County residents and for residential brush only. Collection & Disposal Fees
- 4:00 PM Burning Law: Virginia's Burning Law went into effect on February 15 and is in effect until April 30. The 4:00 PM Burning Law is different from the burning bans which are invoked only during periods of extreme fire danger. Outdoor Fire Laws Brochure
- VDOT: If you encounter downed trees, signals, or other hazards in the roadway, please contact VDOT immediately or call 800-FOR-ROAD. Note: some roads are not maintained by VDOT and you may be directed to other entities in such cases.
🆘 Volunteer Opportunity 🆘
Time is running out. Without a new editor the Malvern News will disappear into the archives of history.
To volunteer you just need some basic word processing skills and a few hours a month working from home. So please join our team of Malvern volunteers and help support your community.
Contact Fred at 703-405-9621 or email@example.com
😀 Pun of the Month 😀
☕ Groups & Contacts 🍺
There are a number of social events and groups in Malvern. Many events are held at the Malvern Clubhouse or Activity Center, while the Ladies and Men's Lunch Groups venture out to different, local restaurants each month. The best place to see upcoming events is the Malvern calendar.
- Activity Center Reservations: Fred Bourque-703.405.9621
- Adopt-a-Highway (inactive): Steve Langone-571.419.0575
- Book Club: Nancy Johnson-540.948.7019
- Clubhouse Reservations: Fred Bourque-703.405.9621
- Ladies Exercise Group: Diana Wright-540.948.6340
- Ladies Coffee Social: Diana Wright-540.948.6340
- Ladies Lunch Group: Pat Rowe-540.948.7092
- Men's Lunch Group: Fred Bourque-703.405.9621
- Pokeno Night: Melody Langone 703.843.6567
- Yard Sale (2023): Ellie Tarbous-540.717.5711
🧑🤝🧑 Next Board Meeting 🧑🤝🧑
HOA meetings are held in the Activity Center at the Clubhouse Complex. All members are encouraged to attend.
- April 13, 2023, 7:00 p.m. — Board Meeting
- April 29, 2023, 10:00 a.m. — Annual Membership Meeting
Newsletter Published: March 17, 2023
The Malvern News is created and published as determined by input from the Board and its committees. If you have any questions about the Malvern News or any of the Community activities please visit our Contacts Page
for information on contacting the Board or a Board or Committee member.